A Fun Place to Hang, Code and Help Out
Enjoy what you do and you'll probably do more of it
Enjoying what you do is so important that Serpent OS is about more than just robust and fast tools. By having a fun place to hang out, we see more user engagement and an increase in contributors. This also spurs on the team to provide the tools they need to create a flourishing Operating System.
While we enjoy hanging out with the community, packaging still needs to be done. Serpent OS combines a superfast packaging system with smart tooling to easily create new packages for Serpent OS. With a thriving community of contributors, they can quickly and efficiently test new changes and get them in front of users.
We go a step further to reduce frictions of contributors and developers to avoid frustrations from trying to help out the project. The contributions of the community are pivotal to the success of many open source projects. With Serpent OS, the line between being a user and a contributor has never been finer!
Sounds Great, Where Can I Find You?
Check out our Team page to find out all the places where we hang out. Or keep reading to learn how we make contributing fast and easy.
Lightning Fast Build System
Nobody likes to wait around for packages to build. In Serpent OS, we value your time (and ours!) so every effort is made to make creating packages as fast and smooth as possible.
Maximising the performance of the clang compiler:
- LTO and PGO built
LLVM'sbinutils variants (such as the more performant
Combined these result in considerable performance benefits to
clang and reduce what can be the longest part of
waiting for a build to finish.
The unique jobs system, integrated into
moss, where all tasks can run as soon as their prerequisites
are met including:
- Fetching upstream tarballs while dependencies are calculated
- Extracting packages and tarballs as soon as they are downloaded
- Caching of packages means you only ever need to extract packages one time for your system and development needs
Utilizing pre-compiled headers (PCH) and unity builds:
- Can result in significant build time reductions for packages like LibreOffice
clangenables you to instantiate templates of pre-compiled headers for even faster PCH builds
Smart and Simple Packaging
As well as making builds lightning quick, package files need to be just as easy to create. We achieve this through:
- Build files that are simple but powerful
- Easy to understand the build at a glance
- Able to quickly add extra compiler tunables to builds
- Plug in a workload to add profile guided optimizations in your build. You don’t even need to know how it works!
- Tooling takes care of steps that can be easily automated
- Will continue to learn tricks to cater to new workflows
- Lets you know when you’ve likely made an error in packaging, so you can fix it up before someone else sees
- Reduces the need to rework commits, which can be a barrier for some users
Making Contributing Easy
Even the tiniest impediments to contributing are enough to turn off potential contributors. Most frictions contributors face can be reduced, or even eliminated entirely.
Whether you simply need a few tools or enjoy the challenge, Serpent OS utilizes GitLab for packaging repositories. There will also be community repositories where you can practice your packaging, share your experiences and eventually start making changes upstream.
You can learn more about
Check Out These Related Blog Posts:
- The Joy of Contribution 4-Jan-2022